Changing Charity: New Girl Edition
What we're doing here at POINT - changing the way people find, connect, and follow up with charity - is something that may be hard to understand at first. 'Why does it even need to be changed?' you might ask. Well, let's see.
1. Though POINT's ultimate hope of charitable giving is one of altruism, we do recognize that a big benefit to donating to a charitable organization is the inherent and helpful tax breaks. We, as millennials, are either in the work force, about to enter it, or working our way towards it. Establishing an efficient, hassle-free social media for giving will facilitate increased giving as well as increased saving (those tax breaks I mentioned). Sounds good to me.
2. How do we know if cause-centered ads are from an organization trustworthy of receiving our hard-earned money? They are out there, but the process of verifying their legitimacy largely goes unresolved; we're left hanging with residual emotions from images of the destitute and suffering, but don't know where to start.
3. Almost half the world lives on less than $2.50 a day and you probably just spent double that on a grande soy caramel macchiato. The disconnect is real. POINT is here to make giving $2.50 as easy as using your Starbucks app for your coffee. Don't feel like you necessarily have to do one or the other...do both!
We say it because it's true. For the most part, the things we complain about in our lives aren't relevant to our second and third world neighbors. Perspective is great, but satirizing our challenges isn't enough. POINT doesn't want you to minimize your life for the sake of others. POINT wants you to use the life you have, #firstworldproblems and all.
5. So you start googling ways to help. Even though you only have $12.76 in your bank account, you figure you could spare $2.50 for the improvement of humanity. But there is just too much clutter, and you have no idea which charity to give to.
6. If only there was a trusted app you could turn to that would make finding and giving to charity a simple and quick process...
Everything is right there: trusted charities in different need categories, their profiles, and you get to see what your friends are up to. It makes it so easy to give back!
Your chosen giving and volunteering activity shows up on the home feed. Maybe your class/work crush sees that you gave to their favorite charity and the next time you cross paths they look at you like:
Mission accomplished. Giving back? Check. Feeling good? Check. Happy dance time? Check.
Looks like change can be good, after all.